[ Home ] [ Railway Heating and Air Conditioning ] [ HEP ] [ Generators for HEP ] [ Railway Electrical Systems ] [ Custom Railway Electric Systems ]
NW9290 HEP Main and Transformers
for older passenger cars with 240 volt systems
by Northwest Rail Electric
Phone: (503) 231-4808 Fax: (503) 230-0572 E-mail
See where our equipment is located on a typical passenger car
An example NW9290 Transformer Assembly.
Over the years, a number of passenger cars have been built with 240 volt, 220 volt or 208 volt three phase electrical systems. The reasons for this varied. Some isolated tourist systems used a 240 volt HEP system because it was cheap to implement. Under-car generator systems were frequently installed that were 240 volt or 220 volt. Yard power systems of all three voltages still exist, particularly on the east coast.
Today, however, 480 volt three phase power is the standard HEP voltage.
The NW9290 was designed to convert these existing lower voltage cars to 480 volt HEP compatibility. This single transformer assembly includes 480 volt to 208, 220 or 240 volt transformers, with a HEP main circuit breaker that locks the lid closed when it is turned on.
Although the same basic components are used on each NW9290, the specifics of each assembly change based on voltage, current, and mounting rack that is required under the car. Therefore, while this is a "custom product" in the sense that we need very specific detailed information on each application, it is also true that we have built quite a large number of these.
When asking for prices on this part, please be sure to send us the following information:
- Incoming Voltage (normally this is 480v, but some customers need 575 or other voltage, depending on their operating situation.
- Outgoing Voltage (208v, 220v, 240v or some other voltage, 3 phase)
- Amtrak standard HEP Main Breaker? Or some other HEP main breaker?
- Amount of power consumed by the car? Units up to 135 kVA have been built, but the bigger the transformer the bigger the price, and the larger the physical size of the unit, and the more substantial the frame to support the transformers. It is best to size the unit to fit the actual needs.
- Some sort of drawing as to how and where this is going to be mounted onto the car, desired orientation of transformers, etc.
Other related products for Railway Passenger Cars offered by Northwest Rail Electric:
[ HEP Connectors ] [ Parts for Amtrak HEP ] [ Generators for HEP ] [ HEP Wayside Power ] [ HEP Wire ] [ Railway Heating and Air Conditioning ] [ Complete Car Electrical Control Package ]
[ Home ] [ List of Products and Services ] [ e-mail ]